Monday, March 23, 2015

Malachite Monday {Malachite Easter Eggs}



My tried-and-true Marbleized Egg Dye Method is this one from Martha Stewart Living. 
Step 1. Dye your base coat. I use warm water, 2 Tablespoons vinegar and green or in my case, I used Teal/Turquoise dye for my base coat. 
Step 2. In a wide, shallow bowl, prepare the water + vinegar bath (the same as in Step 1). Add at least 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and dye. You can use the same color or a different color dye. For the Malachite look, I use green dye in both steps. Using a fork, drag and swirl the color through the oil, creating your marble patterns. 

Step 3
via
Step 3. Wear gloves. Roll the egg around in the oil swirls. If you want a dark egg, like mine above, you can soak your egg, leaving it in the oil dye bath for at least 20-30 min, and roll the sides to create the marble pattern on every surface of the egg.
Step 4. Pat the egg lightly with a paper towel and let air dry. Don't smear or drag the paper towel, or the design will smudge. 

I'd love to see your eggs if you try this method! Tag #malachiteegg and #malachitemonday to share your creations on Instagram!  We'll add your eggs to our Malachite Pinterest Board, with all of our favorite Malachite finds! 

2 comments:

  1. So fun! I think I need to give this a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so giving this a go next Easter! The technique I used this year was way messy. This looks a bit more civilized and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete