Monday, October 21, 2013

Stir It Up: Churro Cupcakes



My youngest daughter wanted to have a FIESTA Birthday Party.
When we lived in San Diego I LOVED getting churros from street vendors...and actually, the best ones are at Sea World. FOR REAL.  I love that cinnamon-sugar combination and love it with caramel.
So, this 3rd Birthday Dessert Fiesta was the perfect opportunity to test out a cupcake that I've been experimenting with...I knew I would have 20+ captive family members as guinea pigs and be able to see how they went over.

They were a huge success and pretty easy to make.
Here's what I did.

1. I made just plain old vanilla cupcakes {you could even use box vanilla cake mix}.
2. Bake cupcakes according to directions. When they are finished baking, take a chop stick or something thin and poke a hole in the top of the cupcake. I used small caramel bits, about 5 or 6 of them and put them down into the hole. You could make a bigger hole and and use a square caramel.


3. While the cupcakes are cooling, take a flour tortilla and grab a small cookie cutter. I cut several shapes and then placed them on a foil lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with about half of your cinnamon and sugar mixture {I mixed 3 Tbsp sugar with 3 Tbsp Cinnamon}. Bake at 250 degrees for about 15 min. {Keep watching them, you don't want them to get too brown, but you want them to be crisp}.

4. Make your frosting. This is the to-die-for cream cheese frosting base that I use all the time. But for these cupcakes I added cinnamon.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup powdered/confectioner's sugar {add 1/4 cup at a time until you get the desired consistency you like in your frosting}
1.5 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
Blend with a mixer and TASTE TEST. It's pretty. YUM!

5. Frost your cooled cupcakes. I don't like a TON of frosting, so I usually just give them a little blanket of frosting. But if you like to do-it-up with frosting, then add a bit more confectioner's sugar for your frosting to be stiffer for piping.
6. Take your cinnamon and sugar tortilla shapes and put them on top of your cupcakes.
7. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of cinnamon and sugar mixture. 


And there you have my version of CHURRO CUPCAKES.
Tomorrow I'll share the rest of the party details and treats that I made including Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Triangles and Mexican Hot Cocoa.
XXXOOO.

{Linking to these parties follow the break}

Monthly Parties: Beneath My Heart | Thrifty Decor Chick (first Monday of every month)

5 comments:

  1. Great idea!! Love the idea if using the tortillas sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon....I used to live in Cali and I agree Sea World does have the best churros! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday linky party and share this post with us. http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/10/centerpiece-wednesday-link-up-party-98.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karin!!! Isn't it so funny that the best churros are at Sea World! Thanks for coming over and for the party invite...so glad to have the chance to meet you and will now make your party a regular stop on Wednesdays! Hope you come over on Mondays to my Give Me the Goods Monday Link Party!!!! Love your blog. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Churros are my fav and I love the decorative tortillas! *pinning*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, thanks for stopping by! So glad you like the recipe and pinned! Heading over to see your blog! All the best!

      Delete
  3. Your cupcakes look and sound SO GOOD!!! Love the cute little toppers!!!

    ReplyDelete