Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy 2014! Happy You Year


Yes, it's the beginning of the year...a time for resolutions, for re-births, for resolve.
I'd really rather stay in my sweats and have a few more days of cocoa and flip through the catalogs that came in the mail over the holidays. 
BUT I know that with the new year comes that wonderful opportunity to grow (and not just as far as sweats and elastic waist bands go). 
This little mantra "What will you do today that will make you proud in a year" is something that will help me to focus on what's important this year. As I solidify my goals and hopes for the year, I'm keeping this mantra in mind... because although I have large projects and things I'd like to accomplish, I feel like it is the little, daily moments in life, that are the things that are the most important and what truly represent who you are and what your life is about. 
Whether it is being proud that I chose to spend more time with my kids while they were out of school on break, or learn how to try to master the art of baking a loaf of bread, or continuing to build Commona My House...I need to stop and reflect and appreciate the little things and be proud of them.
I think it is so hard to do that. Sometimes I get so stressed out about everything that I have to do that I miss the joy that there could be in the doing. I realized that this morning, as I was doing the dishes. I HATE doing dishes. But I have really lovely dish soap (mrs. meyers BASIL) and I have a pretty view down across the street and can watch horses in a pasture...with Rocky Mountains off in the distance, and I can turn on some music and dance while doing the dishes...it isn't about just doing fun things because there are a lot of things in life that aren't fun...but for me, I'd like 2014 to be about being proud of my attitude and being happy about what I do and how I do it. 
We always feel we need to be doing more...and feel like there is a drive that means that if we aren't having it all or doing it all, then we aren't succeeding or working hard enough.
I'd like 2014 to be the year that each day I can reflect and be proud and positive about what I accomplished for that day- even if it is only a fraction of what was on my 'to-do' list...to choose to prioritize things that I will be proud of and look back and say I made time and focused on the important things each day. Because 2014 for me is going to be the year of finding the Happy Moments...if it is a year that I can let go of disappointment over not accomplishing all that I think I should be doing (or all that others think I should be doing), or even who I am at this point in my life, 
and just DO and be happy then it will be something to be proud of indeed!
Happy New Year and hope you have a "Happy You" Year, too!
Happy You Year will be a monthly series. 
I'll be sharing more specific home goals including room boards for virtually every room in my home with you in the coming days. I'll be happy to achieve a fraction of what I'm dreaming up for our new home this year ;) But if you know my design style and mantra, it is that your home has meaning to you. That you don't just have 'things' but that you create an environment that is a reflection of you and an extension of who you are. That your home makes you HAPPY.
I'll also be sharing with you a project that is a personal growth one...I turned 40 in December and there is something I've been working on to sort of mark that in a deeper way as well (and not just deep like my wrinkles). I can't wait to share this project with you!

How about you? 
Are you setting goals or encouraged by any mantras to keep you focused this year?
Will you join me in making it a Happy YOU year?
XXXOOO,

1 comment:

  1. I love it! And I love the thought of being proud of your attitude. Choosing to be happy and positive can change so much about your outlook on life and the day-to-day occurrences. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete